Monday, November 28, 2005

The Chronicle may need to upgrade its weather forecasts

I apologize for the small, sideways graphic, but it was the best I could get shoehorned into this blog with my amateur skills. Note the "Now" temp is 79 degrees on a day with a High forecast of 68 and a Low forecast of 42. Shouldn't "Now" be somewhere in between the high and low? Isn't 11 degrees a pretty bad miss? Especially on a clear day with no fronts or other disruptive weather changes?

If somebody has access to the data, I'd love to see a weather forecasting accuracy comparison of the various Houston sources - the Chronicle, the local TV stations, radio stations, and I don't know who else (maybe they all get their weather from the same couple of sources?). If you have your own opinions, I'd love to hear 'em in the comments. I really don't know who the reputable and not-so-reputable sources are around here.

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, November 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that the temperature never rose higher than 66 at IAH, it sounds like the problem is the Chron's weather station, not the forecast. Downtown, the high today was 68.

The paper Chronicle states that all forecasts and data come from Weather Central, in Madison, WI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home